Saturday, March 11, 2006

Why Democracy Can't Work (Yet) in the Philippines (Part 2)

What do I suggest? I'm glad you asked. Mind you, I'm not a politician, so don't bother me with details. But here's what may work in the Philippines. Whether we like it or not, the concept of family is here to stay for a while -- at least till we grow up in maturity and discipline. Therefore our minds and emotions will operate on that level. I believe we need a "dictatorship" - a benevolent dictatorship -- something like a Mahathir or Lee Kuan Yew or Bolkiah. These are strong leaders who are perceived to be good by the general public and therefore loved and followed. In President Arroyo we have, for the most part, a strong leader. But she isn't perceived to be good. For now she is seen to be anything but good -- except by her immediate family and all those who stand to benefit from her being in office. Truth to tell, I didn't vote for her last 2004. But of all the choices we had (and have), I have to agree with her, she is the best person to lead our country. But she has to get her act together. There are certain things she will have to do:
1 Settle the cheating issue once and for all,
2 Get Mike Arroyo out of the country. He is perceived as Mr Corruption, and
3 Don't listen to FVR too much. He is anything but good for the country.

Will this solve the problem? Heck, no, not by a long shot. But I think it may get the ball rolling in the right direction. Do we drop our attempts at working on a viable and workable democracy? No way. I think we need to continue. But we need to understand what we're up against so we don't always lock horns with one another. We need to work together. This is the only country we have.

No comments: